End of year stitch summary and 2018 not-really goals

Sorry I've been MIA for a couple of weeks, I've been on vacation and have been on computer strike...happens to those of us in the IT biz when we get time off. Just needed some good 'ole decompression time sans what I deal with 60 hours per week with at work. So I've spent the week at home, in my nightgown, eating like a pig, binge watching TV and stitching like crazy with as little human contact as possible. I did get my haircut and colored this week...the purple is gone and I already miss it. It will be a while before I can go back blonde because of the purple residue, but maybe by summer.

It may have been a rough year personally (maybe my roughest ever), but it was a pretty good stitch year, at least towards the end of it. This might be a long one, so sit back and get ready for it!

I left off on Maleficent in Feburary 2016 at the end of row 3:
maleficent082
And I completed my goal of a row finish on June 11th, putting in 116.56 hrs in 2017 for a total of 504.63 hrs overall:
maleficent108
For Alice and the B's, I left off at the beginning of row 3 on December 30th, 2016:
alice107
And left off at the end of row 4 on November 8th, putting in 276.15 hrs for 2017 (98.28 hrs in October alone), for a total of 697.92 hrs, also with a completed goal for the year:
alice170
For Snow White, I left off in June of last year with a goal of the current row and possibly one or two more rows:
SnowWhite017
And I did manage to finish the current row on November 12th, putting in 58.03 hrs, for a total of 115.67 hrs:
SnowWhite033
Oh Night Wish, the all purple project that should be a joy because, well, it's purple, but it's been a bit of a pain because of the combination of the confetti and the mind-numbing white moon. I left off here back in May of 2016:
NightWish013
My goal was just to finish the current row, which I did on November 24th, 80.48 hrs in, for a total of 131.2 hrs:
NightWish038
When it comes to the proverbial thorn in my side, Suteki, I gave myself no goal because I wasn't sure whether or not I was even gonna continue on her. As of now, I'm still not sure, but I keep going on her for some reason. I left off here back in May of 2016:
suteki015
I managed to finish the current row in March of this year:
suteki020
And made it almost halfway into the second row by the end of November, putting in a total of 79.74 hrs for 2017, for a grand total of 168.82 hrs:
Suteki036
The last official goal was also a maybe finish - Tartan B. I left off on it way back in Jan of 2016:
TartanB-010
And I put in a whole two days this year, the last of which was just December 23rd. I don't keep time on this since it's older than before I kept time, but I don't work on it for very long because I can't focus on it for more than an hour or so at a time for some odd reason. But anyway, here's the progress:
TartanB-012
I didn't touch the other two pains in the tush...A Summer Ball and Disney's 35th Anniversary Celebration (which is funny considering 2017 was Disney World's 45th Anniversary). I hate both of those projects and it might take an act of the heavens to make me finish either one of them.

The first of the official new starts of 2017 was Happy Haunts and I didn't have a goal for it. It became my New Stitchy Start Blog subject, but since I stopped working on it faithfully pretty early on, I can't say I was too successful on that front. The total project will look like this when finished:
Happy Haunts_000
I put in 90.77 hrs for 2017, finishing the first row on December 5th. It's a lot harder than it looks! Lots of confetti!
Haunts026
The other new start for 2017 was Sleepy Hollow Mural. I've had it kitted up for years, but decided it was finally time and I decided to test out Q-snaps for the first time. I'm not enjoying the Q-snaps at all, but I'm doing fairly well on it. Here's the project in its whole:
Sleepy Hollow Mural
Before I moved the Q-snaps over, I was here, tossing between pages 6 and 7:
Hollow026
And I barely made much more progress once I moved the snaps, putting in a total of 117.57 hrs for 2017 and last stitched on December 20th, about one-third of the way through the row, although it was nice to see a purple bat appear in the muted forest:
Hollow027
I ended up buying a surprise kit, The Bride Dollmaker by GeckoRouge (although there is some confusion to the name...some of the documentation says The Bride Doll Making, but it's just semantics):
Dollmaker_000a
I started her July 16th and stopped just tonight in the middle of page 4, 71.08 hrs in:
Dollmaker_015
Her face is just absolutely gorgeous close up! It was touch and go there for a while because I couldn't even see it until I was almost finished with the page. I also lost a color...either I lost it or a dog stole it. I'm hoping a dog didn't eat it because that means a very expensive trip to the vet, but I would think if that was the case, then there would have be thread shavings around, so I'm not too worried about that (at least not yet, but I'm still on poo patrol just in case). It had to either be me, or maybe it was the chair...again, either is completely possible. I keep looking for it, but I've already got the conversion specks from GeckoRouge and replaced it. I've actually never lost a bobbin before, at least not for longer than 10 minutes.

I'm going to continue on her until I finish the row and I really only have about a page and a half to go. After that, I'm not sure where I'm heading back to. Maybe Maleficent since its been so long? Or maybe back to Happy Haunts...maybe row 2 will be easier than row 1. I want to finish at least one of these puppies by the end of next year and Happy Haunts would be my best choice. Tartan B is a lost cause I think. Besides, I want to finish it into a pillow and I still don't know how to do that. I don't want to start anything new until I finish at least one of my current projects. I have so many going now, it's just too much. There is no way to make any real progress with so many projects in tow. I often wonder how stitchers with dozens of WIPs ever finish anything.

I did have one finish this year, but I'm not sure it counts because it only took me two days and 9.02 hrs. I wanted to have at least one finish for the year so I picked a small one...Supernatural Exorcism:
DSC08232
I still don't have it framed, but once I do, you'll be the second to know! It was a nice distraction to stitch a project while you are binge-watching the show. It makes it more personal.

And that's it! All my stitching for 2017. It's roughly about 899.40 hrs for the year (still can't count in the Tartan B totals, so it's hard for accuracy). I might be down from previous years, but in my defense, it was a rough year, a REALLY rough year. I'm not going to set any goals for next year because I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants right now and I'm just not sure where life is gonna take me. I don't think I'm gonna have any new starts, if I'm going to join any new stitchy groups or if I'm going to continue on with my current ones, or where next year is gonna lead me stitchy-wise at all. It's obvious that the New Stitchy Start Blog isn't keeping me in check, even on one project, so I guess I'm definitely dropping it next year.

I am still keeping up with my orts though, even if I'm not posting it. Here is the jar for the year, in villains world:
DSC08288
I'm down from previous years, so either I'm getting better about frogging (doubt it), or I did stitch less this year:
DSC08291
2014 and 2015 are still my top years since I've been keeping up with orts. I still contest that OCD is nothing but organized hoarding.

I will say that my stash is through the roof from last year. If I had the money to kit them all up, I could probably easily do a year or two of starts, but I can't imagine how much it would cost to do that, let alone how I would store them in my tiny little house overrun with Disney crap.

I'm probably 60 to 70 lbs up from last year, I didn't read one single book this year (although I probably binge-watched numerous shows a multiple of times a piece), I'm still just as much in debt this year as last (if not more due to all these hospital bills), I'm isolated from just about everyone and everything, but hey, at least I have my stitching and my pups, right? So this year wasn't a total bust! Got to remain optimistic or I'll just crash.

What I can say is that for 2018 I'm gonna TRY to loose some weight, I'm gonna TRY to read more, I'm gonna TRY to pay off some bills, I'm gonna TRY to better myself, no matter the outcome for me or my family...that's all I can promise for next year. I think, after the year I've had, I'm through promising myself or anyone else anything (at least for the moment). I can probably say with certainly (although no promises) that I probably WON'T be going back to any therapist or shrink, I probably WON'T be going to my 30th high school reunion, I probably WON'T be going to Disney anywhere, and I probably WON'T be building a new house in 2018.

So here's to a MUCH better 2018 for not just me, but to all you guys, who have stuck with me through thick and thin, although I'm not sure why! A lot of my bloggy besties have some exciting things in store for 2018, so if I can't have a good year, maybe I can live vicariously through you guys!

And since I mentioned it in the intro and it's been ringing in my head through this entire post, let's ring in 2018 with a little Take That, a few years old and the video doesn't jibe at all since it goes with the first Kingsman soundtrack (but seriously, how hot does Mark look?), but it's how I'd like best to enter the new year, on a positive note looking toward the future one day at a time:

Gotta go now, time for Disney fireworks!

Comments

Mii Stitch said…
You have had a very productive stitching year despite all the on going things in your life. Great progress on your beautiful projects. I am sure you will have more than one finish in 2018! Wishing you a healthy and prosperous New Year x
Unknown said…
You did lots of stitching in 2017. Happy new year, hope it will be a better year for you.
Justine said…
Well it looks to me like a very successful stitching year with all those row finishes! They are all moving in the right direction. I'm hoping that 2018 is a MUCH better year for you personally.
OhSewCrafty said…
You accomplished a lot on the stitchy front and all your projects look great! I hope 2018 is an improvement personally. Positive outlook is a great place to start. Best wishes for health & happiness in 2018!
You are one of the few people I follow who actually makes progress on their full coverage pieces! It's so nice once they progress beyond the first page of dark background and the picture starts to show.

I love Maleficient and the fierce Snow White!

I have no personal goals for 2018, it's a bit of an inbetween year, both boys are settled and there are no planned changes for either of them. Lots of stitchy goals to make up for it!

Any update on the Tree That Wouldn't Die?
Bethan said…
Such a lot of stitching last year, even if it was rough! I absolutely love your needleminders, especially for your 3 Disney pieces! I hope 2018 is an improvement for you, and I look forward to seeing what you stitch. Your 2 weeks off computers just sewing and such sounds like heaven! x
I know you didn't have a good year personally, at least not the part for which I was following you...but stitchingwise, you made some amazing progress! I think you should be very much able to finish one of those projects in 2018, seeing how fast you progress on some of them, and I hope everything else will start looking brighter as well.
Vickie said…
WOW!! I mean just WOW!!! That is all I can say!! I am so impressed with all your stitching! I am so sorry your year was a rough one.....but I do love your projects!!!!

I would love to see you do a year of starts...mine was crazy and stressful. I won't lie! I can't wait to see what you stitch next year!!! or this year since it is January....
Linda said…
You always make amazing progress on which ever project your working on. I so love seeing your updates. I can actually see progress. I'm sure hoping that this is a better year for both us.

Linda
Impressive year of stitching! Wishing that 2018 is a much better year than last was for you!
Tiffstitch said…
I'm so behind, just getting to your end of year post now, and hope 2018 is better for you as well!